2019 LGBTIQ Leadership Program
Applications are now closed.
The 2019 LGBTIQ Leadership Program is a leadership development program that grows and develops participant’s leadership skills in a safe and supported environment. Participants will explore how to develop and apply leadership in LGBTIQ community organisations to achieve better outcomes and drive change in the community.
The 2019 LGBTIQ Leadership Program is for Victorians (18 years +) who are currently in leadership roles and are looking to enhance their leadership capabilities to make a direct and positive contribution to the LGBTIQ sector.
The 2019 LGBTIQ Leadership Program will gather a diverse range of LGBTIQ people, who will support, challenge and grow together, building networks and connections that will continue beyond the program. Participants will be empowered through an increased confidence, understanding of their strengths and leadership abilities, LGBTIQ history and achievements, and the experiences of other LGBTIQ leaders.
The LGBTIQ Leadership Program is being delivered by Leadership Victoria, funded through the Victorian Government’s LGBTIQ Community Grants Program.
What will the LGBTIQ Leadership Program Offer?
The LGBTIQ leadership program will comprise topics to explore issues, challenges and opportunities unique to LGBTIQ communities, and contemporary leadership theory and practice including:
- Leadership development: building skills and leadership capability
- Building a peer network to share leadership experience and support ongoing development and practice
- Learning from leaders from diverse backgrounds, industries and sectors
- Workshops to build practical skills needed to lead community organisations including areas such as driving change, values and ethics, effective communication, media and Influencing the agenda, project management, grant seeking, managing and working with volunteers, understanding how boards work
- Connecting and building networks with other LGBTIQ leaders
- Opportunity to be matched with a 1:1 mentor to further support your leadership journey and application of the program learnings
Who is eligible for the Program?
The LGBTIQ Leadership Program is open to individuals who:
- Are currently in a position of responsibility or leadership role in an LGBTIQ organisation* or
- Are currently in a position of responsibility or leadership role in any other organisation AND can demonstrate a significant interest, commitment and plan to lead for LGBTIQ communities
- Identify as a member of LGBTIQ communities
- Are aged 18+
- Can commit to attending all the program sessions
- Are current Victorian residents
We particularly encourage applicants from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities, culturally diverse and multi-faith communities, those with lived experience of disability, and those living in rural and regional areas and seniors. There will be travel and accessibility funding available for participants who require assistance to attend the program.
*An LGBTIQ organisation under this program is one that is LGBTIQ run and led, and/or whose services or activities primarily benefit LGBTIQ people in Victoria.
2019 Program Dates and Information
The Program is scheduled from August to December 2019 and consists of 8 program days (including an overnight residential opening retreat), an evening welcome event and graduation.
The program dates are:
- Welcome and Induction Event: Thursday 29 August (6.00 – 7.30 pm)
- Opening Residential Retreat: Saturday 7 and Sunday 8 September
- Program Day 3: Saturday 21 September (9.00 am – 5.00 pm)
- Program Day 4: Saturday 5 October (9.00 am – 5.00 pm)
- Program Day 5: Saturday 19 October (9.00 am – 5.00 pm)
- Program Day 6: Saturday 9 November (9.00 am – 5.00 pm)
- Program Day 7: Saturday 23 November (9.00 am – 5.00 pm)
- Program Day 8 and Graduation: Saturday 7 December (9.00 am – 5.00 pm)
By submitting an application for the LGBTIQ Program you are committing to:
- Attendance at all program days and events (minimum requirement for successful completion is 80% attendance)
- Meeting all the program requirements including pre-program readings and preparation, group project work and contributing to program activities
- Contributing to strengthening the LGBTIQ community as a result of the program
Application and Selection Process
- Applicants need to submit their online applications by Sunday 28 July 2019.
- We may contact your referee or the person who wrote your letter of support to provide more information in support of your application
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview with the selection panel
- Interviews will be between Wednesday 7 and Friday 9 August
- All applicants will be notified the outcome of their application mid-late August
Need more information?
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found here
For more information or assistance with the online application form, contact Leadership Victoria:
- Phone: 03 9651 6590
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2019 LGBTIQ Program is supported by the Victorian Government.