2019 Foundations of Board Leadership and Mentoring Program for people with disability
- Build your confidence, board skills and leadership to enable you to take up a board role
- Be matched with a mentor who has board experience to further develop your board skills and pathways
- Grow your networks and meet others who can help you to develop your board skills
- Learn more about pathways to applying for Victorian government board roles
The Foundations of Board Leadership and Mentoring Program will help you to develop your skills to take up a board role. You will meet new people and learn from leaders with board experience. This is a four-day program for those who are ready to develop their leadership and board skills further to become “board ready”.
You can choose to be matched with a mentor with board experience who will support you during the program to develop your skills and learn about pathways to becoming a board member.
- Understand the roles, responsibilities and legal obligations of board members, including financial oversight and the board’s role in managing risk
- Understand the role of the board in leading, developing and monitoring strategy
- Understand the expectations of each role at the board table, the format of board meetings; good governance and governance processes; what questions to ask the board and what actions board members should take
- Develop an understanding of the leadership component of being a board member, including: relationships, communication, decision making and ethics
The Foundations of Board Leadership and Mentoring Program will be held from 10.30am – 3.30pm on:
Day 1: Monday 13th May 2019
Day 2: Monday 3rd June 2019
Day 3: Monday 24th June 2019
Day 4: Monday 15th July 2019
If you choose to be matched with a mentor, you will also attend a session to commence the mentor program and meet your mentor from 4:30-8:00pm on 11 June 2019.
Is there a program fee?
The program is free.
Places are limited. You need to apply to participate in the program.
Applications close 5th April 2019
Who should apply?
The program is for people with disability who:
- Have some leadership or relevant experience and are ready to develop their leadership and board skills further to become “board ready”
- Can commit to attending all the program sessions
- Can commit to completing all the program requirements
- Live in Victoria now
We are committed to ensuring diversity of participants in the Foundations of the Board Leadership and Mentoring Program.
How do I apply?
To apply you need to complete and submit the Online Application Form.
You also need to include your resume and a letter of support from a referee when you submit your application.
Applications close at 5pm on Friday 5th April 2019. Please note that late applications may not be accepted.
Assistance to participate in the program is available upon request. Please note your requirements when you register or contact Leadership Victoria to discuss. Please call 9651 6590 or email email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org>
How are applications assessed?
Leadership Victoria and the Office for Disability will assess the applications based on the selection criteria.
We want to make sure that the program places are given to people who are fully committed to making the most of the opportunity. If your application is successful, you will be asked to sign a form to say that you are committed to attending the program sessions and to meeting the program requirements.
Need more information or help with your application?
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions
Or download a pdf version
If you have questions about the program or need help with your application, contact Leadership Victoria:
Program details are correct at time of publishing and are subject to change without notice.