2019 Greater Dandenong Young & Emerging Community Leaders Program
About the Program
The Greater Dandenong Young and Emerging Community Leaders Program (the Program) is for young people from diverse cultural backgrounds and young police officers with a passion for community leadership who want to work together to make a difference in the local community. The Program aims to build shared understanding between future leaders from diverse backgrounds and Victoria Police in order to strengthen social cohesion within the local community.
This unique program brings together young future leaders from the local community with young local members from Victoria Police. It will focus on leadership development, discussions with guest speakers, interactive activities and networking opportunities. It will provide a rich development experience with long-lasting benefits and outcomes for participants and the community.
The Program is a highly interactive and engaging program to develop the confidence, leadership skills and networks of local young people to become future community leaders.
- The opportunity for local emerging leaders and young police officers to learn about leadership and work together to become future community leaders
- Learning from inspiring guest speakers and community leaders who will share their leadership stories and experiences
- Creating valuable networks in the community
- Small group community projects with a focus on enhancing community safety
- An opening overnight retreat to regional Victoria
- Local business and community project mentors A presentation dinner at the conclusion of the program
Topics covered during the program may include:
- What is leadership?
- The power of storytelling in driving change
- Dealing with conflict: Motivating others and driving change through peaceful means
- Understanding the role of media and social media: influencing the agenda
- My Community: Breaking down barriers and working together
- Building and managing relationships and effective networks
- Community leadership: leaders as role models and a voice for diversity and cohesion within the community.
The program will consist of an introductory session, opening overnight retreat and 4 program days held on Saturdays from June to October 2019. Click here for full program details.
Program days will be held in the Greater Dandenong area, venues and locations to be advised. Transport for the opening retreat will be provided from and returning to the Greater Dandenong area.
Who can apply?
- Those aged 18 to 25 years who reside, study or work in the City of Greater Dandenong
- Applicants must be willing and excited to commit to attending at least 90% of program elements, as well as working with young local members of police
- Applicants from culturally diverse backgrounds who can or want to demonstrate leadership in the local community
- Young emerging leaders and women are encouraged to apply
- The program is delivered in English
How do I apply?
Applications closed 26th May 2019.
How much does it cost?
There are no fees for this program.
The Greater Dandenong Young and Emerging Leaders Program is delivered in partnership by Victoria Police, Leadership Victoria and the Department of Justice and Community Safety, funded by through the Community Safety Networks program.