About the Program
The Active Citizenship Leadership Program provides an opportunity for up to 25 emerging leaders (18 years +) from Victoria’s Culturally and Linguistically Diverse communities to develop their leadership skills, capabilities, and confidence to champion active participation in the democratic process within their communities.
This highly interactive learning program will include working on collaborative community projects, listening to guest speakers sharing their active citizenship experiences, and access to an extensive network of peers and supporters. The program content is a mix of leadership-related learning, hands-on skills for community engagement, and active citizenship program content.
Participants will be equipped to champion community awareness and engagement in the 2022 State election.
Opportunities to apply to join the Victorian Electoral Commission as a casual Democracy Ambassador will be provided at the end of the program. Democracy Ambassadors deliver electoral information to communities before election events. Please note that employment cannot be guaranteed.
The program will be held in 2022. The program consists of five weekend (Saturdays) program days and the program graduation. The program is planned to be delivered face-to-face and will be held in the Melbourne CBD. However, the program may be held using Zoom if COVID-19 restrictions require.
|Program Day One||Saturday 5 February 2022||10.00 am – 5.00 pm|
|Program Day Two||Saturday 12 March 2022||10.00 am – 5.00 pm|
|Program Day Three||Saturday 9 April 2022||10.00 am – 5.00 pm|
|Program Day Four||Saturday 7 May 2022||10.00 am – 5.00 pm|
|Program Day Five||Saturday 4 June 2022||10.00 am – 5.00 pm|
|Program Graduation||Wednesday 8 June 2022||Evening (Time TBC)|
How to Apply
Applications for the program are now open – applications close at 5.00pm on Monday 22 November 2021.
To apply for the program, please complete and submit the online application form by Monday 22 November 2021.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a program information session on Tuesday 23 November 2021.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a program interview on Zoom on Thursday 2 or Friday 3 December 2021.
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by Monday 13 December 2021.
If you are selected for the program, you will be asked to sign an agreement to commit to:
- attending all program days and events (minimum requirement for successful completion is 80% attendance).
- meeting all the program requirements including pre-program readings and preparation, group project work, and contributing to program activities.
- actively participating in yours and other participants’ learning and development.
- complete all evaluation activities.
Accessibility and Inclusion
The program will be held at a fully accessible central Melbourne location that is close to public transport, the venue will have both a prayer room and room for mothers. All program catering will be considered based on the cultural requirements within the program group.
Additional supports and considerations will be made to ensure that all participants can fully participate in the program.
The Active Citizenship Leadership Program is supported by the Victorian Electoral Commission.