Board Leadership Program Level 1
The Board Leadership Program Level 1 is for individuals with less than two years experience on a board, or those considering a board role. Taking a holistic approach to a board member role it will provide you with an overview of the tasks and responsibilities involved. It will enable you to ask the right questions, build vibrant and balanced boards and provide an introduction to the technical requirements of the role.
The Board Program includes participants who are from the corporate, government and community sectors.
Level 1 is the first of the series of Leadership Programs being offered in 2013 and so please refer to the Level 2 (for those with over two years board experience) and Financial Skills Builder programs for more information on other relevant programs (links are at the bottom of the page).
What is involved?
The program is an exciting mix of specialist speakers, scenario based learning, case studies and other learning based activities during the two days.
What will you learn?
During the Board Leadership Level 1 program, you will:
- Explore the motivation of board members and the connection to vision and mission
- Examine the processes of board meetings, the role of the Chair, the relationship with the CEO, induction, succession planning and performance review
- Understand the role and responsibilities, including the technical responsibilities of being a board member (legal compliance, financial oversight, risk management, strategy development)
- Identify the reports, questions and information essential at every board meeting
- Develop an understanding of the leadership component of being a board member, including: relationships, communication, decision making, ethics
- Focus on how, as a Board member, to lead your organisation through barriers to good performance
- Assess their current skills that are transferrable to board membership and identify those requiring further development
- Use case studies, share experiences and insights, and role play board meeting scenarios to provide practical applications of the learnings
- Connect program participants within the group to provide ongoing peer support with board members from other organisations
- Connect program participants with our professional networks for ongoing support, and information about future programs, events and networking opportunities
Duration: 2 full days
Fee: $995 (incl GST)
JJ Clark Room, Level 1, Old Treasury Building,
20 Spring Street, Melbourne
2013 Program Dates for Board Leadership Program Level 1:
Series # 2: July 25 and 26 (Bookings close 11 July). Enrol now.
Series #3: August 15 and 16 (Bookings close 1 August). Enrol now.
Series #4: October 16 and 23 (Bookings close 2 October). Enrol now.
Other Board Leadership Programs:
Board Leadership Program Level 2: for people with 2+ years' board experience
Board Skills Builder: Understanding Financial Statements
To learn more about the Board Leadership Program Level 1, please download our BLP Program Brochure.
Cancellation and Transfer Policy:
Board Leadership Programs
Cancellations received up to 10 working days prior to the program will incur a 30% cancellation fee. Cancellations between 10 working days prior and 3 working days prior incur a 50% cancellation fee. No refunds will apply for cancellations within 3 working days of program commencement date.
Cancellation must be in writing.
Transfers and substitutions are accepted up to 10 days prior to the program commencement date. All transfers and substitutions will incur a 10% administration fee.
Transfers and substitutions must be in writing.
This policy applies to all participants and may be varied by LV at its discretion, from time to time without prior notice.